Currently, graduates of "Information Technologies" are engaged in:
- solving business problems
- developing software
- network architecture and so on.
Many business companies are looking for specialists possessing several skills at once.
Education in the field of "Information Technology" is highly popular among students. As a result, the applicants have to pass tense selection procedure including at the international level.
The three leaders of the rating in the IT field are widely known outside of Russia – Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and ITMO University. These universities are among the top 10 universities in the world having prepared the largest number of prize-winners of the most prestigious international Programming Olympiad ACM ICPC, in which students from more than 100 countries participate.
The state is increasing the number of state-funded places for majors "Information Technology": in the near future, the state-funded places for IT will double - from 80 to 160 thousand.
Universities provide the following educational programs:
- applied mathematics and computer science
- fundamental computer science
- computer science and engineering
- information systems administration
- software engineering
- information and communications technologies and communication systems
- business computer science
- computer security
- information security of telecommunication systems.
University rating: Information Technology (2022)
- Lomonosov Moscow State University - 100.0 points
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (National Research University) - 98.84 points
- ITMO University - 98.84 points
- Saint Petersburg State University - 98.22 points
- National Research University Higher School of Economics - 97.09 points
- Peter the Great Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University - 88.19 points
- Bauman Moscow State Technical University (National Research University) - 86.69 points
- Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin - 85.37 points
- National Research Nuclear University "Moscow Engineering Physics Institute" - 81.39 points
- Southern Federal University, Federal State Autonomous Educational Institution for Higher Education "Southern Federal University" - 75.15 points
- National Research Tomsk State University - 74.22 points
- Saint-Petersburg Electrotechnical University ETU “LETI” - 74.05 points
- Innopolis University - 73.93 points
- National Research Technological University "Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys" - 73.46 points
- National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University - 73.36 points
- Peoples' Friendship University of Russia - 73.32 points
- Novosibirsk National Research State University - 71.97 points
- Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University - 70.21 points
- Moscow Aviation Institute (National Research University) - 68.34 points
- National Research University "Moscow Power Engineering Institute" - 68.33 points
Top 10 IT Russian universities according to THE (Times Higher Education)
According to THE World University Rankings for 2021, the best Russian universities offering IT majors are as follows:
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology;
- ITMO University;
- Lomonosov Moscow State University;
- Peter the Great Saint Petersburg Polytechnic University;
- Bauman Moscow State Technical University;
- Higher School of Economics;
- Moscow Engineering Physics Institute (MEPhI);
- Saint Petersburg State University;
- Moscow Institute of Electronic Technology;
- Peoples' Friendship University of Russia.
Good IT universities not listed in the ratings.
Not all Russian universities can pass all the criteria that rating agencies are applied when preparing lists of the best universities and institutes in the country. But it does not mean that higher education in universities that are not in the top lists is worse than in the rating ones. Draw your attention to these educational institutions as well:
- Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University;
- Bashkir State University;
- Moscow Pedagogical State University;
- Tyumen State University;
- Southern Federal University.
How much do IT workers earn?
Based on the Recruitment Centre Innopolis report, the application developers earn more money in the IT field. The final salary depends directly on the language using by the programmer, and on the platform for which the application is developed.
As for Russia, developers for Java, Android, iOS and Kotlin earn more money today. Junior receives from 100 thousand rubles to 180 thousand rubles per month. Senior can earn 450 thousand rubles. The salary of lead has increased to 500 thousand rubles.
Programmers using Python and Rust earn a little less. Juniors earn from 80 thousand rubles per month, and the lead can earn up to 400 thousand rubles.How much do IT workers earn?
Programmers using PHP and C++ occupy the third place in terms of salary. Juniors earn 70 thousand rubles and leads earn 300 thousand rubles. Again, all depends on the company in which the specialist works, and on the city in which he/she lives.
To compare, candidates for the engineer computer vision position can enjoy a salary of 70 thousand rubles (juniors) and up to 350 thousand rubles. Project managers earn from 70 thousand rubles to 250 thousand rubles.
Do you want to become an IT specialist? Write to us and you will receive an individual consultation on the matriculation procedure.